Situated near the Thar desert, Churu is a district in Rajasthan with a semi-arid climate. The district is also known as ‘The Gateway to Thar’. Churu city is the district headquarters. It was founded in 1620 AD by the Nirban clan of Rajputs.
Churu was a part of Bikaner district before the Independence of India. In 1948, it was separated from Bikaner when it was reconstituted.
There is a fort in Churu city of historic importance and it is believed that it was built approximately 400 years ago. There are beautiful temples of Salasar Balaji and Babosa Maharaj which are of great religious importance.